Today, December 1st is known as World Aids Day. On the World AIDS Day website, HIV, Human Immunodeficiency Virus, “can be passed on through infected bodily fluids, most commonly via sex without a condom or by sharing infected needles, syringes or other injecting drug equipment”. Here are some facts about HIV.
- Over 90% of people with HIV were infected through sexual contact
- You can now get tested for HIV using a saliva sample
- HIV is not passed on through spitting, biting or sharing utensils
- Only 1% of babies born to HIV positive mothers have HIV
- You can get the results of an HIV test in just 15-20 minutes
- There is no vaccine and no cure for HIV
It’s a very real disease/virus that can be treated and contained. On the World AIDS website, there’s an opportunity to create awareness and proceeds for National AIDS Trust (NAT) in the UK. Bake sales are a great way to raise awareness and easy to do! NAT provides a fundraising pack and bake sale awareness poster! This is great for sporting events, school events, or whatever you can think of! It isn’t specific to just December 1st, awareness and fundraising can be done at any time in the year.
Once you’ve raised the proceeds, NAT provides you with an address to send the cheque off to! What a great way to create awareness and fundraise!